These guidelines and policy apply to Nursing Internship Placements only. For other internship placements, see Internship and Volunteer Opportunities.
We are not able to accommodate placements for Associate Degree Nursing Programs.
Guidelines For BSN students
- Students should submit their placement request with a minimum of four (4)-weeks advance notice, including hours requirement, contact information, and school affiliation to [email protected]
- Students should be open to placement in a general Public Health nursing position— and not to work with a specific population
- Students should be willing to follow-up with their school if a Clinical Affiliation Agreement needs to be signed
Guidelines for MSN students
- In addition to the guidelines above, students should submit a project proposal with estimated time commitment, so the request can be adequately evaluated.
- Public Health Programs that can accommodate Nursing Interns will evaluate whether or not they are able to take on students for a given semester. Nursing Internship Placements are first filled by San Jose State University, BSN students.
- If spaces are available to accommodate additional students, those who attend a school that already has a Clinical Affiliation Agreement in-place will be placed (USF, UCSF, CSU Dominguez Hills, CSU Fullerton, Holy Names University, Pacific Union College, and Western Governors University).
- Once the student limit in a particular semester is reached, students may choose to be placed on a waiting list. We encourage students to seek other placement sites while waiting, as no guarantee of placement is made.
Have you considered becoming a Medical Volunteer for Disaster Response? For more information, see Disaster Healthcare Volunteers of California.