The Santa Clara County Diabetes Prevention Initiative (DPI) works toward better health for all, ensuring that County residents with pre-diabetes are identified and connected to prevention education and community healthy eating, active living resources, increasing a healthy lifespan and decreasing the burden of disease by preventing individuals identified with pre-diabetes from progressing to a type 2 diabetes diagnosis.
The DPI takes a health equity approach, creating necessary conditions for health for all people, particularly those experiencing socioeconomic disadvantage or historical injustices, including the large Medi-Cal population in Santa Clara County. The DPI was initiated by the County Board of Supervisors and was stewarded by Supervisor Ken Yeager’s office. The Diabetes Prevention Initiative is led by the Santa Clara County Public Health Department and engages a wide range of stakeholders to take action on the following areas:
- Raise Pre-diabetes Awareness
- Establish Screening and Referral Protocols in the community and clinic settings
- Increase Coverage for and Access to Evidence-Based Diabetes Prevention Programs
In 2015, a three year DPI Strategic Plan was created through a countywide effort by public agencies and non-profit groups. The plan outlines goals that everyone will work on together to support Santa Clara County residents in preventing type 2 diabetes. Learn more about this strategic plan and our current campaign - Together We Can Prevent Type 2 Diabetes Campaign
Keep an eye out for upcoming meetings and events!
To learn more about the Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention program and other related efforts, please contact:
- Together we can prevent type 2 diabetes in Santa Clara County
- Know your diabetes risk score!
- Tips for Preventing Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP)
- CDC National Diabetes Prevention Program
- Diagnosing Diabetes and Learning About Prediabetes
- Diabetes Prevention Initiative (DPI)
- About the Campaign: Together We Can Prevent Diabetes
- Ways to take care of your Diabetes, Heart Disease, and Other Chronic Diseases
- American Diabetes Association: Diabetes Basics
- A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States
- Prevent Diabetes STAT (Screen-Test-Act-Today)