A healthy lifestyle with type 2 diabetes is not just possible but is actually “in our hands” by prioritizing our health and wellbeing. These are some things we can do that may help manage type 2 diabetes:
- Eat more vegetables
- Stay active
- Quit smoking or never start
- Join a diabetes self-management class, like the Healthier Living program listed below
Services to help you manage your diabetes and other health conditions are covered by most types of health insurance, including Medicare and Medi-Cal. Ask your doctor for a referral, or contact the following organizations directly.
Local Diabetes Self-Management and Chronic Disease Classes
751 S. Bascom Ave, San Jose, CA 95128, phone: (408) 885-2486
Provides free, 6-week class series for Valley Medical Center patients on how to better manage diabetes, arthritis, asthma, chronic pain, and depression.
Phone: (408) 961-9877
Provides classes to help you better manage diabetes, arthritis, breathing problems, and depression.
This is a local program for families of children with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Core components of Family Link include family mentor program for newly diagnosed children, social events and diabetes education. Cost may be covered by health insurance. Scholarships may be available. Some workshops are free. For more information contact Karen Zimmerman at (408) 241-1922 ext. 7470 or email [email protected].
- Together we can prevent type 2 diabetes in Santa Clara County
- Know your diabetes risk score!
- Tips for Preventing Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP)
- CDC National Diabetes Prevention Program
- Diagnosing Diabetes and Learning About Prediabetes
- Diabetes Prevention Initiative (DPI)
- About the Campaign: Together We Can Prevent Diabetes
- Ways to take care of your Diabetes, Heart Disease, and Other Chronic Diseases
- American Diabetes Association: Diabetes Basics
- A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States
- Prevent Diabetes STAT (Screen-Test-Act-Today)