Can my child get the COVID-19 vaccine?
The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is only authorized for administration in patients aged 5 years and older. Go to County of Santa Clara COVID-19 Vaccine Information for the Public.
NEW! A September joint letter from the Public Health Department and County Office of Education emphasizes the importance of in-person education and discusses prevention strategies to keep children as safe as possible and in school. The letter encourages families to be up to date on their immunizations, and to get the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. Read the letter here: English / Spanish / Chinese / Vietnamese / Tagalog
Now Is the Right Time To Get a Flu Shot
Flu shots are the best protection against the flu. Everyone 6 months and older should get a flu shot each year.
Flu shots are especially important while communities continue to navigate the ongoing pandemic. Flu shots reduce hospital visits and emergency room crowding due to flu, and reduce the chance that your child will have to miss school due to flu.
Flu shots are available from your child's primary care doctor, pharmacies, and for free from the Santa Clara Valley Medical Center.
What Vaccines Does My Child Need for School in Santa Clara County?
California school immunization law outlines the immunizations required for school and childcare entry.
See the recommended immunization schedule for children from birth to 18 years of age from the U.S. government's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Vacunas recomendadas para niños desde el nacimiento hasta los 6 años de edad enfermedades prevenibles con las vacunas para prevenirlas
- Vacunas recomendadas para los niños de los 7 años hasta los 18 años de edad enfermedades prevenibles con las vacunas para prevenibles
A yearly flu vaccine is recommended for all children 6 months and older. Immunizing your children is one of the best things you can do to protect them against serious diseases.
Where Can My Child Get Vaccinated in Santa Clara County?
- Your child's pediatrician or your family doctor may offer vaccines.
- Local pharmacies often offer vaccines for older children.
- COVID-19 vaccine for youth age 5 and older is available at many County of Santa Clara sites.
- Community clinics provide vaccines for children and youth in Santa Clara County. Find a community clinic near you: English / Spanish / Vietnamese.
If you do not have health insurance, find out if your child is eligible for Medi-Cal.
The Public Health Department is temporarily expanding services this fall to offer free Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis) vaccinations for 6th to 12th graders who need to catch up on this vaccination, which is required to attend school in California. Drop in at an event or make an appointment at our Travel and Immunization clinic.
How Is My School Doing?
How Do I Find My Child's Immunization Records?
See advice from the state of California on locating immunization records.