Both State and Federal laws require employers to provide a reasonable amount of break time and a private location to express breast milk.
The County of Santa Clara Lactation Accommodation Policy is based on the Laws and Policies which protect a woman's choice to provide breast milk to her child by ensuring her right to express milk during her breaks. It also protects her from discrimination from other staff.
Sections 1030-1033 of the California Labor Code and Section 4702 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act require employers to provide a reasonable amount of break time and private location to express breast milk. Unfortunately, many employees are not aware of the laws, and some are afraid to ask for this accommodation.
The Santa Clara County Public Health Department supports efforts that encourage breastfeeding at the workplace, as it provides benefits for mothers, children, families, and society. Children who are breastfed are less likely to develop acute ear infections, asthma, diabetes and obesity. Reduced risk of diabetes and breast and ovarian cancer are some of the mother's health benefits. Breastfeeding also provides benefits for businesses, including lower health care costs, reduced absenteeism, higher productivity and lower turnover rates.
Worksite Lactation Acommodation Resources
- California Labor Code - Lactation Accommodation
- Fair Labor Standards Act - Break Time for Nursing Mothers Provision
- California Breastfeeding Laws Brochure
- The Business Case for Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding - The Goal 2025 Infographic
Santa Clara County Mother Friendly Employer Program
The Santa Clara County Mother Friendly Employer Program recognizes employers that are committed to supporting and encouraging breastfeeding. In order to become designated as a Mother Friendly Employer, an organization must meet, and have a written lactation accommodation policy that addresses, the minimum requirements of the program. A policy template is available to help organizations develop strong lactation accommodation policies that meet the requirements of the program.
To become designated as a Mother Friendly Employer, fill out the program application.
- Mother Friendly Employer Application
- Mother Friendly Employer Fact Sheet
- Mother Friendly Employer Requirements
- Mother Friendly Employer FAQ
- Lactation Accommodation Policy Template
- Breastfeeding Welcome Here sign
- Supporting Nursing Moms at Work: Employer Solutions
Mother Friendly Employers will receive the following:
- Certificate indicating Mother Friendly Employer designation
- Ability to use Mother Friendly Employer seal to promote designation
- Listed on-line as a Mother Friendly Employer
- Santa Clara County Public Health Department website
- Breastfeeding Task Force of Santa Clara County Facebook page
- Recognition at the Breastfeeding Task Force of Santa Clara Valley Breastfeeding Month Celebration in August
New! Santa Clara County Mother Friendly Employers (updated 8.11.15)
- FIRST 5 Santa Clara County
- Alsco Inc.
- Alzheimer's Association, Northern California & Northern Nevada Chapter
- Bay Bodywork & Chiropractic
- C Sharp Video Productions
- Community Health Awareness Council
- County of Santa Clara
- Rosso Furniture
- Mama Mia's Restaurant
- Community Solutions
- Community Alliance with Family Farmers
- Discovery Counseling Center
- George Chaila Farms Inc.
- Gilroy Foundation
- Go Kids, Inc.
- Hood and Strong LLP
- Learning and Loving Education Center
- Mountain View Day Worker Center
- NEW SV Media Inc.
- Russo Furniture
- Santa Clara County Water District
- Santa Clara University
- Santa Clara Valley Health and Hospital System
- St. Joseph's Family Center
- St. Louise Regional Hospital
- Syngenta Flowers
- The Morgan Hill Chamber of Commerce
- The Law Offices of Robert E. Greeley
For more information about the Breastfeeding Promotion Project, learn about local resources, and how to get involved, please contact: