Adolescent Sexual Health Advocates (ASHA) is a collaborative network of public and private organizations and community members in Santa Clara County with a common interest in supporting adolescent sexual and reproductive health.
ASHA’s vision is that all young people in Santa Clara County will have positive sexual and reproductive health development, connections with caring adults and their community, and access to opportunities for an optimal future.
ASHA’s mission is to support and empower community stakeholders (providers, young people, schools and other youth-serving institutions, policymakers, and the general public) to improve young people’s sexual and reproductive health.
- Teen pregnancy, STIs, and HIV
- Sexual risk and protective behaviors
- Healthy relationships with peers, parents/caregivers, and partners
- Dating violence
- Sex trafficking
- Young people’s connections to their community
- Positive youth development
- Substance use prevention (alcohol and other drugs)
- Diversity in gender and sexual identity and the impact on gender roles
- Access to youth-friendly clinical services
- Preconception health
- Among pregnant/parenting teens: prenatal and inter-conception health
- Outreach – efforts to grow and diversify our network
- Capacity Building – supporting advocates’ work by providing professional development in our focus areas
- Safety Planning – supporting the use of safety plans with youth to help identify safer ways to react to challenging situations, such as an unplanned pregnancy, substance use triggers, or potential intimate partner violence
Co-Chair: Christina Perez, PHN / Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health Coordinator, County of Santa Clara Public Health
Co-Chair: Mindy Asprer, Young Parent Program Manager, Planned Parenthood Mar Monte
Other than an interest in and commitment to supporting adolescent sexual and reproductive health, there are no requirements to be an ASHA member. ASHA-wide meetings are held virtually on a quarterly basis.
Interested in learning more or joining the network? Please email [email protected].
Don’t miss a thing! Sign up for our Adolescent Sexual Health Advocates (ASHA) emailing list to receive the latest announcements, news, and updates for when our next meeting will be. Click here to sign up!