Healthy eating and regular physical activity are key ingredients to good health at any age. They may lower your risk for heart disease, obesity, type 2 diabetes, cancer and other chronic diseases. The Healthy Communities Branch of the Public Health Department recognizes that the environment in which we live, learn, work and play has a significant effect on our health. Through various initiatives, the branch engages residents, schools, businesses, and community leaders in environmental approaches to make health an easier choice. Our goal is to create a healthy, safe Santa Clara County where all residents have plenty of opportunities to be physically active and have access to healthy, affordable foods where all communities can prosper.
CalFresh Healthy Living Program
The goal of the CalFresh Healthy Living Program is to prevent chronic diseases and improve food security among persons eligible for CalFresh. The program focuses on implementing education, policy, systems and environmental (PSE) change strategies to: increase access to, and consumption of, affordable healthy food and beverages and decrease sedentary behavior.
The program implements interventions in a variety of settings including schools, community centers, retail establishments, farmers markets.
Where We Work and What We Do
The program serves individuals and community groups in several settings through the following strategies:
- School Nutrition Standards
- Student Nutrition Action Committees-SNAC
- School Wellness Policy implementation
- Youth Participatory Action Research Projects
- Teens as Teachers
- Support implementation of physical activity curriculum in after-school and early childhood settings
- The Smarter Lunchroom Movement
- Training for schools and childcare sites
- Nutrition and Physical Activity class for seniors
- Implement environmental changes and promote pricing discounts to increase use of CalFresh and Market Match at farmers’ markets
- Support and promote CA Fruit and Veggie EBT Pilot Program at retailers
- Create access to physical activity at parks and through safe walking routes
- Expand access to walking and biking through supporting the open streets model
What we offer to community groups:
- Technical assistance
Join our Coalition!
- Harvest of the Month
- Santa Clara County Parks and Health
- Resources to Stretch Your Food Dollars- Farmers' Market, CA Fruit and Veggie EBT Pilot Program, and Restaurant Meals Program
- Childhood Feeding Practices - information for parents and providers about best childhood feeding practices to promote children's health
- Cut the Sugar (English / Spanish) - information, facts, and resources about the health impacts of sugar-sweetened beverages.
For more information, contact: