July is a fantastic time to get outdoors and visit different parks. Many parks offer different events, classes, and programs for the entire family. It is also a good time to make better beverage choices and stay hydrated during these hot summer days. Using EatFresh.org, you can also find great recipes using July’s Harvest of the Month, Peppers.
- Nutrition: Make Better Beverage Choices
- Harvest of the Month: Peppers
- Physical Activity: Visit Parks
Make Better Beverage Choices
What you drink is as important as what you eat. Many beverages contain added sugars and offer little or no nutrients, while others may provide nutrients but too much fat and too many calories.
Here are some tips on ways to make better beverage choices:
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
- Choose low-fat or fat-free milk or milk alternatives.
- Make sure to have water on the go by using a reusable bottle.
- Check the Nutrition Facts Label on your favorite beverages to rethink your drink.
Sources and Additional Resources:
Harvest of the Month: Peppers
A ½ cup of sweet peppers (green, yellow, and red) is an excellent source of vitamin C. Sweet peppers are also a good source of vitamin B6, which helps your body build healthy blood cells.
- Harvest of the Month Community Newsletter: Peppers – English / Spanish
- Harvest of the Month Family Newsletter: Peppers – English / Spanish
To change the language of the recipe, please visit EatFresh.org and type the recipe name in the search bar. Use the globe icon at the top right corner and select what language you desire.
- BBQ Turkey in Pepper Shells – For your next dinner, these peppers will fire up your taste buds! English
- Red and Yellow Bell Pepper Omelets – The bright peppers add a healthy twist to this traditional breakfast! English
Additional Pepper Facts and Recipes:
- Discover Foods - Sweet Bell Peppers
- Eatfresh.org - Peppers
- Seasonal Produce Guide - What's in Season? Bell Peppers
- Food Fact Card: Bell Pepper
Energize Your Body by Visiting Parks
Visiting parks is a fun way to get outside, enjoy nature, and be physically active. Health benefits of physical activity include a decreased risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and stroke. Physical activity can also help you get to and keep a healthy body weight, reduce depression, and help you live longer.
Here are some tips for getting started:
- Visit parks with family and friends.
- Stay hydrated by drinking water before, during, and after your activities.
- Hike, walk, jog, or bike, are some activity ideas.
- Come ready for the outdoors with items such as sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, bug spray, and a first aid kit.
- New and Returning Park Visitor Tips
- Santa Clara County Parks
- City of San Jose Parks and Trails
- Viva Parks Neighborhoods