October is hauntingly upon us and so it’s time to start promoting the October monthly themes! This month’s nutrition tips focus on building a healthy meal using MyPlate. October is also National Walking Month. Using EatFresh.org, you can also find great recipes using October’s Harvest of the Month, pears.
- Nutrition: Build a Healthy Meal
- Harvest of the Month: Pears
- Physical Activity: Walking
Build a Healthy Meal:
MyPlate is a great tool to find your healthy eating style and build it throughout your lifetime. It includes the five food groups: dairy, fruits, vegetables, grains, and protein. Everything you eat and drink matters. The right mix can help you be healthier now and in the future. This means:
- Focus on variety, amount, and nutrition.
- Choose foods and beverages with less saturated fat, sodium, and added sugars.
- Start with small changes to build healthier eating styles.
- Support healthy eating for everyone.
Here are some tips for building a healthy meal using MyPlate:
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables. Focus on whole fruits and vary your veggies. Choose a variety of colorful vegetables prepared in healthful ways, such as steamed, sautéed, roasted, or raw.
- Vary your protein routine. Add lean protein, such as lean beef and pork, chicken, turkey, beans, or tofu. Twice a week make seafood the protein on your plate.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains. Look for the words “100% whole grain” or “100% whole wheat” as one of the first ingredients on the food label.
- Move to fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt, or soy beverages.
- Drink water instead of sugar-sweetened beverages.
- Start Simple with MyPlate Today: English / Spanish
- MyPlate Plan: English / Spanish
- Create a Grocery Game Plan – Weekly Calendar
- Create a Grocery Game Plan – Grocery List
Harvest of the Month: Pears
A ½ cup of sliced pears – green, yellow, or red – has fiber and vitamin C. Some common pears are Bosc, Anjou, Bartlett, Asian, and Cactus Pear.
- Harvest of the Month Community Newsletter: Pears – English / Spanish
- Harvest of the Month Family Newsletter: Pears – English / Spanish
To change the language of the recipe, please visit EatFresh.org and type the recipe name in the search bar. Use the globe icon at the top right corner and select what language you desire.
- Pear, Grape, and Cucumber Salad – This salad is a real treat for lunch! English
- Tuna Salad with Pears – This recipe will soon be a favorite lunchtime dish! English
Additional Pear Facts and Recipes:
Energize Your Body with Walking:
Walking is a great way to get aerobic physical activity and has many health benefits, including a decreased risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and stroke. It can also be used as a form of transportation and helps to reduce air pollution.
Here are some tips for getting started with walking:
- Join a walking group, or find a walking partner for support and encouragement.
- Walk to school, work, or the store.
- Choose a route that is safe and convenient.
- Park your car further away in the parking lot.
- Walk the trails at a local park.
- Start by taking short, 10-minute walks, and increase the length as they become easier.