Every person aged 6 months and older needs the flu vaccine, every year. This is especially true this year, with COVID-19 also circulating widely in Santa Clara County.
Where To Get a Free Flu Shot
Flu Shots at Valley Medical Center Clinics and Pharmacies
- More information on free flu shots from Santa Clara Valley Medical Center.
More Free Flu Shots in Your Neighborhood
- HealthMap Vaccine Finder
- If you have health insurance, you can also visit your regular doctor.
Prevent Flu with the Flu Vaccine
The flu shot is a safe, effective way to reduce your chance of ending up in the hospital with severe flu. Each winter, people sick with flu crowd hospitals and urgent care clinics.
You Need a Flu Shot Every Year
The flu vaccine offers many months of protection but does not last forever. Also, the strains of influenza in the community change over time. It is important to get the new vaccine every year.
How Does the Flu Vaccine Benefit Me?
- Best way to avoid getting the flu
- Reduces missed work and school due to the flu
- Prevents flu-related hospitalizations
- Protects those you care for, work with, and live with
- This year, people with flu symptoms will likely have to get a COVID-19 test and stay home from work and isolate away from their families while awaiting results. Symptoms of the flu can be similar to early symptoms of COVID-19.
More about Flu
Flu Is a Different Disease than COVID-19
Influenza, also called flu, is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses. It is not the same as the common cold, which is caused by different viruses. It is not COVID-19, which is also caused by a different virus.
Flu symptoms can be similar to those of the common cold, but are usually more severe. Learn more about the difference between colds and flu.
Severe Flu Is Dangerous
Flu can cause severe illness in some cases. Flu shots protect you and your family and reduce the chance that you will go to the hospital with severe flu.
Anyone can get the flu, even healthy people. Serious problems from the flu can happen at any age.
Common Symptoms of Flu
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Fatigue (feeling tired)
Some People Are More Likely To Get Very Sick from the Flu
- People over age 65
- Young children
- Pregnant women
- People who have health conditions such as asthma, diabetes, or heart disease
How To Prevent the Flu
You can take the following steps to protect yourself and your loved ones from flu:
- Get a flu vaccine
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or your elbow when you cough or sneeze
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people
- If you are sick, stay home from work or school
- If you are sick, monitor your symptoms and contact your medical provider if your symptoms are getting worse
- If you are seriously ill and at risk for complications from the flu, contact your medical provider because you may need additional treatment or hospital care
Flu Data for Santa Clara County
The County of Santa Clara Public Health Department monitors influenza activity throughout the year.
- September 17, 2020 - Press Release - County of Santa Clara Offers Free Flu Shots: Staying Up to Date on Preventive Vaccines Even More Important during COVID-19 Pandemic
- October 15, 2020 - Press Release - Joint Statement of Bay Area Health Officers: Bay Area Health Officials #FightFlu, Urge Flu Shots
- October 30, 2020 - Press Release - 7,100 Flu Vaccinations almost 10 Times the 2019 Total: Free Flu Shots Continue at Fairgrounds in San Jose Saturdays through December 12
- November 14, 2020 - Press Release - Free Influenza Test Now Included with COVID-19 Testing at Santa Clara County Fairgrounds and City-Based Services
- COVID-19 County Response
- Influenza Information for Healthcare Providers
- Immunization Program
- Where Can I Get a Free Flu Shot?
- Flu.gov - Know what to do about the Flu
- CDC Seasonal Flu BasicsFlu Prevention from CDC
- Misconceptions About Flu and Flu Vaccine
- CDC How the Flu Virus Can Change (Shift or Drift)