Lead is toxic to everyone, especially children under 6 years of age. When too much lead builds up in the body, it can cause lead poisoning. Lead poisoning can affect your child’s ability to learn, pay attention, and behave well. There are many ways your child could come in contact with lead in your home and community.
Sources of lead can include the following:
- Paint and dust in and around homes or buildings built before 1978
- Imported foods such as chapulines (grasshoppers)
- Brightly colored spices like turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder and cinnamon
- Pots and dishes that are old, handmade, or made outside the U.S.
- Certain cosmetics
- Imported candies, including candy from Mexico made with tamarind fruit
The good news: You can prevent lead poisoning!
The County of Santa Clara Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (CLPPP) works to prevent the harms caused by lead poisoning in children and young adults from birth to age 21.
- provides case management to children and youth who are found to have lead poisoning
- investigate and analyze sources of lead poisoning such as paint, dust, and soil
- works with health care providers for follow-up services
- does community education and outreach to increase awareness of lead poisoning and how to prevent it