Can my child get the COVID-19 vaccine?
No, the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is only authorized for administration in patients aged 12 years and older. Clinical trials are underway for younger children, but at this point there is no vaccine approved for younger children. The Moderna vaccine and the Janssen vaccine (also known as Johnson & Johnson) are only authorized in patients aged 18 years and older. Go to County of Santa Clara COVID-19 Vaccine Information for the Public.
Get the Flu Shot
The flu shot is a safe and effective way to reduce your child's risks of getting the flu and ending up in the hospital with severe flu. It is recommended that every person aged 6 months and older gets the flu vaccine, ideally by the end of October every year. It is especially important this year as the COVID virus is still circulating in Santa Clara County.
Flu shots are available from your regular doctor, pharmacies, and for free from the Santa Clara Valley Medical Center.
What Vaccines Does My Child Need for Daycare in Santa Clara County?
California school immunization law outlines the immunizations required for school and childcare entry.
See the recommended immunization schedule for children from birth to 18 years of age from the U.S. government's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Recommended immunization schedule for children from birth to 6 years of age
- Vacunas recomendadas para niños desde el nacimiento hasta los 6 años de edad enfermedades prevenibles con las vacunas para prevenirlas
A yearly flu vaccine is recommended for all children 6 months and older. Immunizing your children is one of the best things you can do to protect them against serious diseases.
Where Can My Child Get Vaccinated in Santa Clara County?
- Your child's pediatrician or your family doctor may offer vaccines.
- Local pharmacies often offer vaccines for older children.
- Community clinics provide vaccines for children and youth in Santa Clara County. Find a community clinic near you: English / Spanish / Vietnamese.
If you do not have health insurance, find out if your child is eligible for Medi-Cal.
How Is My School Doing?
How Do I Find My Child's Immunization Records?
See advice from the state of California on locating immunization records.