Can preteens and teens get the COVID-19 vaccine?
The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is authorized for administration in patients aged 5 years and older. Go to County of Santa Clara COVID-19 Vaccine Information for the Public.
NEW! A September joint letter from the Public Health Department and County Office of Education emphasizes the importance of in-person education and discusses prevention strategies to keep children as safe as possible and in school. The letter encourages families to be up to date on their immunizations, and to get the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. Read the letter here: English / Spanish / Chinese / Vietnamese / Tagalog
Now Is the Right Time To Get a Flu Shot
Flu shots are the best protection against the flu. Everyone 6 months and older should get a flu shot each year.
You can get both a flu shot and a COVID-19 vaccine in the same visit. The shots are just as effective when you get both at the same time.
Flu shots are especially important while communities continue to navigate the ongoing pandemic. Flu shots reduce hospital visits and emergency room crowding due to flu, and reduce the chance that you will have to miss work or school due to flu.
Flu shots are available from your primary care doctor, pharmacies, and for free from the Santa Clara Valley Medical Center.
What Vaccines Do Preteens and Teens Need for School in Santa Clara County?
California school immunization law outlines the immunizations required for school entry.
See the recommended immunization schedule for children from birth to 18 years of age from the U.S. government's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Recommended immunization schedule for children from 7 to 18 years of age
- Vacunas recomendadas para los niños de los 7 años hasta los 18 años de edad enfermedades prevenibles con las vacunas para prevenibles
A yearly flu vaccine is recommended for all children 6 months and older. Immunizing your children is one of the best things you can do to protect them against serious diseases.
Where Can Teens Get Vaccinated in Santa Clara County?
- Your child's pediatrician or your family doctor may offer vaccines.
- Local pharmacies often offer vaccines for older children.
- COVID-19 vaccine for youth age 5 and older is available at many County of Santa Clara sites.
- Community clinics provide vaccines for children and youth in Santa Clara County. Find a community clinic near you: English / Spanish / Vietnamese.
If you do not have health insurance, find out if your child is eligible for Medi-Cal.
How Is My School Doing?
Are your child's classmates vaccinated? See immunization rates for schools in your area: 7th Grade.
How Do I Find My Child's Immunization Records?
See advice from the state of California on locating immunization records.