Diabetes Prevention Program is proven by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to prevent Type 2 Diabetes. It’s a lifestyle change program for people with prediabetes.
- It can help you lose 5-7% of your body weight. So if you weigh 200 pounds, this would mean losing 10-14 pounds.
- It supports you in increasing your physical activity routine to 150 minutes per week.
- Classes are offered in a group setting in the community, at clinics, and online.
- You will learn new skills like:
- Ways to stay motivated - Being active as a way of life
- Stress management - Carb & calorie counting
- A Lifestyle Coach will support you for 1 year in DPP
- The cost can range from $429 or more for the 1-year program.
- Most health insurance plans cover the cost of the program and Medicare (in 2018) and Medi-Cal (in 2019) will start covering it soon
Sign up for a diabetes prevention class near you
- Talk to your Doctor or Clinic about DPP
- Call your health insurance plan to request DPP
- Locate a Centers for Disease and Control Diabetes Prevention Program near you
Partners who offer diabetes prevention programs
Learn more about the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Diabetes Prevention Program.
If you are a health clinic or medical provider, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Medical Association created the STAT toolkit to help implement pre-diabetes screening and referral processes at a practice or clinic.
Learn more about the Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention program:
- Together we can prevent type 2 diabetes in Santa Clara County
- Know your diabetes risk score!
- Tips for Preventing Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP)
- CDC National Diabetes Prevention Program
- Diagnosing Diabetes and Learning About Prediabetes
- Diabetes Prevention Initiative (DPI)
- About the Campaign: Together We Can Prevent Diabetes
- Ways to take care of your Diabetes, Heart Disease, and Other Chronic Diseases
- American Diabetes Association: Diabetes Basics
- A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States
- Prevent Diabetes STAT (Screen-Test-Act-Today)