Are you a pregnant African or African American woman?
Through the Black Infant Health (BIH) program, you are eligible for:
- Virtual Prenatal and Postpartum Health Education groups
- Support in actualizing personal goals
- Access to a hub of resources
- Access to dedicated BIH Public Health Nurse
Are you interested in advocating for Black maternal health equity?
Black babies in the Bay Area are two to three times more likely to be born too soon or too small, or to die before their birthday. The California Perinatal Equity Initiative (PEI) aims to address the root causes of persistent inequitable birth outcomes and health disparities of Black mothers and their babies.
- Join the fight for racial and birth justice in the Bay Area! Santa Clara County is part of the Bay Area-wide campaign #DeliverBirthJustice. This will be the first campaign in this region to feature stories and experiences of Black mothers in their perinatal journey. Visit deliverbirthjustice.org to learn more.
- Spread the word! Our Women of Wellness program is a PEI-funded program dedicated to keeping all black women healthy before and after pregnancies.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
To enroll, call (408) 937-2270, or complete a BIH Interest Card for an appointment.
Who is eligible?
- Pregnant African/African-American women
- Postpartum African/African-American women with infant under 6 months of age
- 16 years of age or older
- Santa Clara County residents
- Services are at no cost for any eligible woman regardless of her income
In Santa Clara County, BIH strives to improve the problem of poor birth outcomes and health disparities in maternal and infant health. Research shows black women are at higher risk for various pregnancy-related issues such as preterm birth, low birth weight babies, and infant mortality. These health disparities persist regardless of education and income. We address contributing factors such as chronic stress, social isolation, and racial inequities. Our program helps reduce stress, build resilience, promote healthy behaviors, and increases social supports. Black Infant Health (BIH) is a state-wide program; our jurisdiction, run locally by the Santa Clara County Public Health Department, has been serving this community since 1991.
Santa Clara County Black Infant Health Program
1993-B McKee Rd.
San Jose, CA 95116
P: (408) 937-2270
F: (408) 937-2291